Flow continues to advocate
exploring self-development. It is very clear that the key to flow is in finding
our identity. As in management
situations, a clear definition of goals and/or purpose is key to the
development of a successful operation. Once we’ve become more aware of our
personal strengths, we will be in a better position to control the outcomes of
our dealings. For instance, Csikszentmihalyi suggests that socializing is an
activity that often produces optimal and desired outcomes. We must use a
certain skill set to interact with our acquaintances, whether it be humor, wit,
or cunning, to name a few, we must employ various skills to maneuver through
conversations. As we engage in these
interactions and use our various skills, we often feel a sense of
gratification. Through these interactions we identify opportunities and various
avenues that can offer potential other positive outcomes. Looking for flow in
socialization is pertinent to organizational behavior, especially when
navigating relationships. For instance in the discussion of conflict
resolution, we learned that communication is often a key component to both the
cause and resolution for any conflict. In the article “Three Approaches to
Resolving Disputes”, the author makes a clear distinction that “reconciling
interests” is vital to creating organization and avoiding conflicts. This is
also vital in creating flow through communication. Whether we are dealing with
friends or colleagues, in the quest for flow, we must be strategic in aligning
our interests in such a way that everyone reaches an ideal level of
satisfaction. In a professional atmosphere, a manager must pay close attention
to the interests and goals of his counterparts; once the manager is able to
identify the interests, he will be in a better position to direct the abilities
of each member of the organization, thus creating a higher likelihood of flow
experience. As the members of the organization begin to experience success
(hopefully because of their positioning) they will likely become motivated by
their positive feelings, thus creating trust and the sense of community in the
organization.
Similar to aligning the interests
of an organization, an individual must be sure to identify his personal
interests in an effort to create a clear path to personal gratification and
fulfillment. Most of us enjoy a challenge. We all find challenges in different
situations, for some it is physical activity and others may enjoy mental
challenges. In either situation it is important to find challenges that help us
perfect our skills.
The author suggests,” But when
beating the opponent takes precedence in the mind over performing as well as
possible, enjoyment tends to disappear. Competition is enjoyable only when it
is a means to perfect one’s skills; when it becomes and end in itself, it
ceases to be fun.”(181)
Of course, this mindset pertains to
personal pursuits of enjoyment but it can be applied to group efforts as well.
When my buddies and I play playstation, we tend to play FIFA. This game allows
for head to head gaming or you can team up with your friends and play each
other. For the longest time we were all competitive when playing, and for the
first few months I noticed that we were each getting better and helping each
other to learn new tricks. Around the time of our midterms, the game seemed to
lose its appeal. Personally I fell into a losing streak, but felt that I hadn’t
lost anything from my skill set, and nobody really got too much better. I came
to the conclusion that the added stress from midterms had turned the gaming
into a routine rather than a pleasure. I was no longer playing to get better, I
was simply playing to defeat my friends and to procrastinate. I had been
experiencing flow initially, but I lost it. I was consciously distracted by the
pending exams and my usual enjoyment of FIFA was not present. As I began to make
mistakes in the games, my teammates began to lose as well, and suddenly the
experience of playing FIFA was no longer enjoyable for anyone. The group lost
its Flow as well because of one component of the team.
No comments:
Post a Comment