The article regarding the correlation between college graduates' GPA and their job opportunities was reassuring and concerning. I was pleased to hear that on some levels there is a push to get to know a job applicant past their posted scores and academic achievements, but I was concerned that in fact many places will stop short at only reading posted scores. It is understandable that certain firms will be forced to review hundreds of applications and using numbers can be a great way to weed out the bad apps, but when looking for potential, I find that getting to know a person is the true test. The bottom line, get good grades and be prepared to sell yourself without credentials backing you up. Become the full package as far as potential hiring entities are concerned.
I found the article very reassuring. If you think about it in a logical way it makes sense that firms first go off of GPA because these selections will be followed up with an interview. I mean have you ever heard of a professorial job that didn't start with some kind of interview? When firms chose candidates to interview first off GPA then these interviews are where the candidate can "sell themselves". This way the firms will get the best of both worlds, the hard working and smarts a GPA will bring as well as the social skills the interview will prove.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree that looking at someone's GPA is a good way for an employer to dwindle the list of job applicants. But as you guys have already stated that GPA is not everything. The employer needs to make sure that the person behind the GPA has the other skills that the job requires.
ReplyDelete